Everyone uses instant messaging these days:
Sales organisations have integrated it into their websites since it’s the organisations who are providing an immediate, on-demand selling experience that are winning.
Marketing uses it to engage potential customers. Answering prospects’ questions and smoothing their buying experience. It turns out sales are increased and more satisfied customers.
Customer support uses it to improve support effectiveness, troubleshoot user issues on-the-fly, improve customer satisfaction as well as reduce the burden of follow ups.
Shouldn’t compliance teams use instant chat to reduce the barriers between them and their employees? Can compliance teams use chat to improve investigation effectiveness when following up employees’ reports?
The answer to that question is clearly ‘yes’. However, the information transmitted via a compliance hotline is far more confidential and regulated than product enquiry information. The development of whistleblower legislation is now offering greater protection to whistleblowers and allowing for the non-disclosure of anonymous whistleblowing, but also, your organisation can be penalised if you accidentally disclose a whistleblower’s identity. Given the constant changes in whistleblower legislation globally, you should actively stay aware and review whether your entire reporting platform is capable of assisting you to get the job done properly. If not, at least find a way to reduce the risk of being penalised.
Common questions we have discussed with our current and prospects clients in the past include:
How are you going to investigate an anonymous report?
How do you reach back to your whistleblower when you require more information?
How do you collect additional evidence from your anonymous reporter?
The outcome of these types of discussion has led us to create a platform that supports whistleblowers using both anonymous and secure two-way instant chat messaging platform to report misconduct or share concerns, while organisations can use the same communication platform to receive, assess, investigate and manage the reports they receive. Two-way anonymous instant messaging has proved popular among whistleblowers because it is safe, secure and instantaneous.
How does instant chat improve efficiency?
1. Increases productivity: With more people wanting to use mobile devices, instant chat has become a handy option for whistleblowers to report incidents and share supporting evidence when it’s most convenient. Whistleblowers can simply take a photo or video then share it instantly while they are reporting an incident they witnessed.
2. Resolve questions in a flash: A compliance officer, human resource practitioner or case owner can instantly chat with the whistleblower to obtain additional information to support the case being investigated rather than spending time finding out themselves.
3. Lower psychological barriers: Instant chat allows the whistleblower to gather their thoughts, gather up courage and respond when they feel calm. This is often needed when they are dealing with mental health issues like harassment or bullying.
4. Build stronger relationships with employees: A secure and anonymous reporting platform helps to build stronger relationships between employers and employees because the fear for retaliation or revenge is significantly reduced.
5. Boosts credibility: Instant chat boasts credibility because it shows that the employer is willing to listen to the concerns of the whistleblower and take action when required.
6. Simplifies investigations: Whistleblowers who use instant chat are more comfortable and happier than using other forms of communication like telephone or email. The goal is to obtain as much information was possible. Secure two-way instant chat guarantees security and promotes a simpler conversation between the whistleblower and case owner.
7. Shows proactivity: Whistleblowers feel encouraged to report wrongdoing if they get an instant response from the case owner. Case owners can show their proactiveness when they instantly and actively respond to the issue reported by the whistleblower. In many cases no investigation will be required (but the issues can still be logged)
8. Team management: Using instant chat you can keep track of the status of conversations and view the progress of investigations.
9. Keep your data secure: Instant chat allows for data to be instantly transferred via a secure and encrypted transmission channel. This is better than requesting for hard copy evidence from the whistleblower because hard copies this may end up in the hands of unauthorised persons.
10. Audit: Because instant chat allows for easy record tracking, the conversation’s digital foot print is instantly recorded (though names will be kept anonymous when required) . This enables the case owner to review who has made contact and what type of conversation was discussed between the investigator and whistleblower.
Regardless of your size or global presence, The Red Flag Group’s IntegraCall® provides a secure, two-way and anonymous whistleblowing platform for employees and employers in 104 languages. IntegraCall® is an integrated platform where whistleblowers can report misconduct, and organisations from any industry can receive reports and manage them from start to end. IntegraCall® does not require multiple platforms to be set-up or hosted. Everything is easily accessible through a mobile app or web portal. This allows organisations to receive reports from any location at any time of the day and take appropriate action before impact.